Davina Here - For the first time Hannah and I have decided to share our guide to the month ahead that we usually reserve for our newsletter subscribers, on the blog. There will still be lots of exclusive content on the newsletter but we were finding ourselves way too excited about the monthly lists not to share on the blog.
We hope you enjoy it and we'd love you to sign up for our newsletter The Sunday Supplement.
February, oh February, what a joyful month! Like it’s sister month January, it has a reputation of being a bit droll but with Pancake Day, Candlemas, Valentine's Day and the very first signs of Spring: there are wonderful things to celebrate, make and do all month long. Hurray!
Here are 10 ideas to make, do and celebrate in the month ahead.
- Celebrate Candlemas - The Festival of Lights that falls on 2nd February and has been held on this date since pre-Christian times to celebrate the virgin earth of spring. A nice way to celebrate this festival is to dig holes in the earth and plant candles in them and then light the candles to warm up the earth and encourage spring (children love this). It's a lovely excuse to fill the house with candles too.
- Throw a Pancake Party or just eat pancakes all day- savoury and sweet. Heck, why not all month. This is one of Hannah's favourite days of the YEAR.
- Experiment with different types of flour for your pancakes like spelt and buckwheat and try some unusual fillings too.
- Hunt for Snow Drops and enjoy their delicate beauty. If you have children you could make a circle of pebbles around the snow drops to provide seats for the 'snow drop fairies'.
- Make yourself a Valentine's Day Card this year! No really do - Allow yourself time to really consider what you are proud of and what you like and love about yourself and write it in a card. Decorate the card with a word that you most love about yourself - are you brave? Creative? Kind? Strong? Adventurous? We think loving yourself is the most important thing to do this Valentines.
- Have a Winter Picnic- blankets, a fire and a flask of hot chocolate is essential. The garden is perfect- or venture further afield.
- Make Valentine's Day Cards for your friends - its a great excuse to tell a friend why you love them and what their friendship means to you. (ideas on the blog this week!)
- Host a Galentine's Day Gathering. Make like Leslie Knope and throw a for your close female friends (Galentine's Day is on the 13th and it is the day to celebrate female friendship)
- Make rather than buy a valentine's Day present/ Card (ideas coming soon on our blog)
- Make a Valentine's Day outfit for and with your kids - for example sew heart kneepads on tights or invite them to paint hearts on T-shirts (use a stencil for young ones and fill it with their expressive merrymaking!).
If you like any of these ideas and do them please share photos with us and tweet us to let us know!
More February love over on Pinterest: