It's Sunday Supplement time! Welcome, April; month of baby animals, budding branches stretching across blue skies, planting seeds, longer lighter days and probably some April showers; those too. I can almost feel the Spring energy coursing through me, and and the more I focus on it, the less significant the other stressy things in my life become. April so far has been utterly beautiful in Kent and I just want to be outside all the time. SPRING!
- Snatch a minute to enjoy the new morning light. Take your morning cuppa into the garden and breathe the fresh spring air (this is one of my favourite things to do)
- Leave treasures for nesting birds. After coupling up last month, lots of birds will begin nesting, and if you leave little scraps of fabric and wool around the garden, you may well find them woven into their nests! And don’t forget to feed them too.
- Gather British Spring flowers I feel passionately about buying local and seasonal flowers - in April Tulips and Daffodils will be in abundance.
- Visit a wild flower display. Google your nearest park or gardens to see if they have a particularly lovely Spring flower display.
- Visit a farm. Whether you have kids or not, a visit to your local farm is guaranteed to be very sweet and hopeful at this time of year. If you do have kids, take our free 'Farm Bingo' printable.
- Head to your nearest orchard (cites have them too!) and have a picnic under the blossom. Or, our favourite, give yourself a cherry blossom shower under your nearest tree. Pure magic, that is.
- Enjoy Pakistani and Indian Mangoes. I usually preach local and seasonal but every rule has an exception and here’s mine. Indian and pakistani Mangoes are currently in season and they are unbelievably delicious. Indian or pakistani grocers should have them- or look at out at your local market too.
- Plan May Day: Last year we made May Day Posies and left them on their friends’ doors to celebrate the coming of warm weather. It's a the loveliest of excuses to give a few blooms to your friends. This year I am hosting a May Day workshop for which which there are only a few tickets left now.
- Keep cleaning and cleaRing. If you haven’t managed that big spring clean or clear out, then it’s never too late! See my DIY Natural Cleaning Recipes here. Even if you only manage to clean or clear out a few things a day, its always worth it. I am a true decluttering convert and I really believe it’s improved my quality of life.
- Have a Spring Picnic in the garden. Frankie and I have been picnicking this week (or "pignicking" as Frankie still says, and I never want her to stop) and the weather is perfect for it.
Also, I published my Spring Playlist. It started with an RnBish vibe then turned quite Soul-ie then ended up with a slower, more acoustic sound, and I had such (slightly obsessive) fun pulling it together.
This is just a small section of my free newsletter which gets sent out to subscribers on the first Sunday of the month. It also contains the stuff I'm eating/reading/wearing and listening too, as well as some of the blog posts and articles that have moved me recently. You can sign up at the top of the blogs home page.