Davina and Hannah here: Firstly we want to wish everybody a very happy Easter Sunday whatever you may be up to! We believe that whether you're Christian or not, Easter is a wonderful Spring celebration full of the symbolism of re-birth, fertility and new life. Spring is such an exciting time- from chocolate eggs and planting seeds to baby animals and new buds, there is so much to celebrate! Davina and Hannah are both with family this weekend; Davina will be celebrating Easter the traditional way by rolling eggs and Hannah will be out enjoying this gorgeous Spring weather as much as possible (and both will be eating a butt-ton of chocolate too, obviously)
Here are 10 wonderful ideas of things to make, do and celebrate in the month ahead!
- Shower yourself in Cherry Blossom: Stand under a Cherry Blossom tree in the wind and allow yourself to be showered in blossom or if no wind pick up a bundle from the street and throw it in the air. Ignore the stares, this is magic! ; )
- Colour your Home with British Tulips. We feel passionately about buying local and seasonal flowers - in April Tulips will be in abundance. Google your nearest park or gardens to see if they have them (Hannah is heading to Doddington House to see theirs)
- Play Outside: If you have young kids sign up for an outdoor play group for the summer term (most Steiner schools run them) or make your own weekly mini playgroup in your local park or woods with friends.
- Spot Migrating Birds as they return home for summer: Many migrating birds such as Swallows, Martins, Cuckoos, Swifts, Nightjars, Turtle Doves return to the UK for the summer in April. Look the birds up so you will know how to recognise them if you see them.
- Make a Welcome Home Birds Basket - We found this idea in Amanda Soule’s book The Rhythm of Family. The basket could contain items to help birds build their new nests for example: left over yarn, thread, embroidery floss, feathers, scraps of fabric, leaves, moss, sheeps wool.Or make a Tree Hanging Bird Feeder as welcome home present for birds.
- Go Outside as much as possible and enjoy the first few warm days. Morning coffee in the garden is lovely.
- Take advantage of the Longer Days and go for walks or runs after work - Spring is a great opportunity to get fit again after a long winter of staying in doors and comfort food.
- Plan May Day: Last year Davina and Elfie made May Day Posies and left them on their friends’ doors to celebrate the coming of warm weather. This year we are looking forward to going to a May Day dance. Could you host a May Day bbq? A posy making morning tea?
- Do some Spring Cleaning! A brilliant excuse to do that de-cluttering we've all been thinking about. A physical clear out of your objects will make your mind feel clearer too - its good for your home and its good for you. Look out for our DIY Natural Cleaning Recipes coming soon!
- Have a Spring Picnic. Hannah and Frankie have been picnicking this week (or "pignicking" as Frankie says) and the weather is perfect for it. We're going to find some local apple trees to have a picnic under once the blossom arrives too.
This list of 10 wonderful things to do is compiled for our Sunday Supplement, which you can have sent directly to your mail box by signing up here. The email will also includes additional exclusive material - including a round up of our favourite links from across the world.
P.S Some more Easter Inspiration over on Pinterest: