Morning all! This is an excerpt from our Seeds and Stitches Sunday Supplement. March! The month of spring! What a glorious month this is. The ground is already teeming with new life, evidenced in the delicate cups of the crocuses shyly opening toward the sun, and the hanging heads of snowdrops bobbing in the wind. Daffodils are starting to bloom and the bird song is starting to intensify by a few decibels in the garden too. If you manage to catch the sun in a windless moment, it feels gently warm on your face, a sweet promise of what’s to come.
Here are 10 wonderful things to make, do and celebrate in the month ahead!
- March is the month that spring officially arrives in the UK and it’s a great cause for celebration! Decorate with locally grown spring flowers and bulbs. Have a digging party with friends in the garden or allotment and prepare the ground. Repay the favour by providing brunch/lunch/dinner/booze/all of the above, or just have a spring party for the hell of it. We can’t think of a better reason for a party, can you?
- Start planting! Hurray! Most flowers and vegetables can be started indoors this month, ready to be transplanted outside in the next couple of months.
- Go on a daffodil walk visit the snowdrops in the woods, note the abundance of cyclamen and acolytes and seek out the crocuses too. (The Crocuses at Kew look gorgeous!)
- March means Mothers Day. Make or bake something handmade to show your appreciation for your mum, granny or someone who has been a ‘mum’ to you. Davina has a sweet DIY mothers day idea over on the blog this month to use children's drawings to make earrings!
- Alternatively for Mothers day this year, focus on experiences rather than things. Spa days and afternoon teas are pretty much exclusively marketed to mums at this time of year and they’re wonderful things to do, but also kinda boring and a bit sexist. Consider something a little different. Book tickets to an interesting talk, gig or show. Buy a membership to the National Trust, or take a spring picnic and go for a walk up a mountain.
- March also means International Women’s Day. Get together with your female friends to celebrate and raise awareness of gender inequality. Watch a film that passes The Bechdel Film Test. Have a discussion about what feminism means to you. Identify some practical actions you can take.
- Spring is so exciting for young children! Go flower spotting with them and help them to make little pebble walls around fragile spring flowers. Read books and sing songs about Spring.
- Start preparing for Easter! Make Easter decorations, collect branches for an Easter tree, practice baking an Easter ring bread.
- Go to WOW festival! Eeek it’s this month! Davina and I will have a craft stall there on the Sunday, so come say hi!
- Make a pussy willow wreath for the front door
Psst, this is just part of the Sunday Supplement that is emailed out on the first sunday of the month, to subscribe, click the link in the side bar!