The shortest day of the year is upon us, marking the end of the darkening days. Whilst the cold deepens, the sun begins to trickle into more of our daylight hours, whispering of the promise of Spring. We are super excited to celebrate the returning light.
Some things I’m meditating on.
- Welcoming the darkness; listening to my urge to turn inwards, to hibernate.
- Welcoming the opportunity the create and reflect.
- Obeying my need for sweet sweet sleep.
- Feeling inspired by the life beneath the soil- slumbering, not dead; building strength to grow in Spring. Like me.
- Smiling at the returning light- inwardly heralding the promise of Spring.
- Thinking about the cyclical nature of the seasons, trying to be aware of the change thats happening right now.
Tomorrow morning we will light the candles and give Frankie-Rose some Solstice gifts: some books and a new pair of wool slippers (I’ve saved them from our trip to denmark last summer!). Then we’ll go for a walk to the beach or the woods and watch the sunset. When we get home we’ll light the fire and prepare to have a celebratory meal with our family, lit by our homemade Ice Votives.
I hope you can find ways to mark this darkest of days and quietly welcome the start of the lighter days, whether it’s a quick walk around the block and a candle lit meal or a big celebration. Happy Solstice everyone!