Hannah here: We are excited to welcome Lou back to the blog with a gorgeous beachy DIY. I am about to head off on our holiday and I'll be collecting treasures with this project in mind. Thank you, as always, lovely Lou!
Following on from last months post, on how to display flowers, this month I thought I’d talk about finding nature’s treasure whilst on holiday.
Most of us this summer, will be spending our days beach side. Whilst there, I love to look for shells, sea glass, mermaids purses, crab shells, cuttle fish bones and so on… filling my pockets as I wander along the sea's edge.
Once home, there are many ways to display your beach treasure. In a bowl or on the table; it's an instant tactile way of remembering your holiday. Or why not try a wall hanging…
You will need:
- Shells, coral, pebbles, - anything you might find
- Copper jewellery wire (I found mine on Ebay)
- Using the dremel (you can pick these up quite cheaply in DIY shops), drill a small hole into one end of the shell.
- Next take a piece of copper wire and thread it through the hole. Twist the end to secure. You can get fancy here and twist the excess wire into curls if you wish.
- Attach the wire and shell to the driftwood stick by twisting the end over it a couple of times.
- With pebbles, I wrapped them with the wire before attaching them to the stick.
- Keep adding shells and pebbles as you go until you have the desired effect.
- Finally, attach some garden twine to the ends of the stick and hang it up!
I think it would look great anywhere: above a child's bed, above the sofa in the lounge, or hanging in the garden.
So this summer, get out and beach comb and see what you can find...
If you make something with your beach treasures, please do let us know so we can see and coo over it!