Welcome to the February Sunday Supplement! The first few days of February held Imbolc- a festival to mark the half way point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. It's the start of a slow, sleepy wake up from winter hibernation. I can feel it deep within me, can you? I'm waking, shifting, stretching and readying myself to leave my winter cave. The darkest days of winter are behind us.
Here are 10 ideas of things to Make, Do and Celebrate in the Month ahead.
- Celebrate love in all it's forms. Its true that like lots of the best holidays, Valentines has been turned into a corporate schmaltz fest but over the years I've come to quite enjoy this month, especially when you expand your definition of love to your friends, children and even the earth.
- Keep those candles going. I think I recommend lighting candles in every sunday supplement but February holds candlemas- the festival of lights. It's been held this month since pre-Christian times to celebrate the virgin earth of spring. A nice way to celebrate this festival is to dig holes in the earth and plant candles in them and then light the candles to warm up the earth and encourage spring (children love this). It's a lovely excuse to fill the house with candles too.
- Hunt for Snow Drops and enjoy their delicate beauty. If you have children you could make a circle of pebbles around the snow drops to protect them.
- EAT ALL THE PANCAKES. All month. Oh yes. This is one of my favourite months of the YEAR.
- Experiment with different types of flour for your pancakes and try some unusual fillings too. I’ll be making pancakes with buckwheat and almond milk this year.
- Have a crocus picnic. Have you spotted them yet? Those tender soldiers of the spring are pushing up through hard ground and filling our parks and woodlands with blankets of purple, yellow and White. Find a bare patch of earth nearby to spread a blanket to enjoy them up close.
- Be your own Valentine. Make time for YOU this year! We think loving yourself is the most important thing to do this Valentines.
- Celebrate your female friendships on Galentines Day! Make like Leslie Knope and throw a brunch for your close female friends. I have two gatherings booked in and am more excited about these than I am about Valentines day! (Sorry Dave)
- Book your tickets for WOW festival next month. This is one of my favourite festivals. If you're not in or near London, there are 'feeder' events happening all over the country, and there are some sessions streamed live too.
- Plant or gift Rose Bushes! I think they make gorgeous and much or eco valentines gifts, don’t you?! Providing there’s no frost, roses can be planted out now.
So yes, FEBRUARY. I finally feel ready for this year!
This is just a small section of my free newsletter which gets sent out to subscribers on the first Sunday of the month. It also contains the stuff I'm eating/reading/wearing and listening too, as well as some of the blog posts and articles that have moved me recently. You can sign up at the top of the blogs home page.