Winter doesn't actually officially arrive until the solstice on 21st December, and for my other seasonal switch arounds and celebrations I wait for each equinox or solstice to begin to ground myself in the new season ahead. But, I always celebrate winter a little differently, and earlier than the other seasons, because we also love to celebrate advent and Christmas as well as the solstice. I confess that I got sick of dried leaves and pumpkins covering the house too, so recently cleared Autumn away (the decluttering urge is still strong!) and have been making way for winter and Christmas decorating and celebrations. I know, I know, it's still too early for some, but I'm feeling ready to welcome the frost, sparkle and magic of winter!
I think perhaps that some of the reason I'm ready to embrace winter is because my styling and writing work has been almost solely Christmas based for the last few months! (d'ya think?!)
- My wreath making began in earnest a couple of weeks ago in preparation for a workshop over the weekend with Stylist Magazine, and I haven't really stopped since with guides to write and some filming today too.
- I made my advent calendar months ago as it was in a magazine last month.
- I've been planning this festive faffing and photography workshop (best name ever?), and this Christmas supper club and workshop for ages.
- It is the winter Sisterhood camp retreat this weekend. I am styling it (3 glorious days!) and we are celebrating and embracing all that is good about winter celebrating and entertaining, and I simply cannot wait! It sold out ages ago, sorry friends who wanted to join us!
- I released my 2017 calendar illustrated by Emilie Maguin. The response has been amazing, thank you everyone who has purchased!
- Plus I have some Christmas entertaining features to write too! Phew!!!
So my mind and my heart are THERE, with baubles on!
One of the other projects I've been busy with is a Christmas home styling guide for Bettys, the Tea Room. I have pulled together some simple Christmas styling tips for your home, and used my own home to shoot it in to keep it genuine too. The vibe is rustic but glam with hints of gold! Dave and I shot it together in my (light-challenged!) home and we are both really pleased with the results. There is a step by step guide to styling a side board, coffee table and mantle piece over here. I always really enjoy styling with food too and think it adds something really tactile and interesting. Some favourite shots:
My Pinterest has also gone totally wintery and Christmassy too!
You'd think that maybe i'd be sick of Christmas already, but nope! Just excited. How about you? Our tree always goes up on the first weekend in December but there are definitely hints of Christmas around my home already...
Are you ready to welcome winter and Christmas yet? Or still too early?!