Davina here - We have a seasonal tree in our house, which is basically some branches in a vase that we hang homemade seasonal decorations on - super simple but we love it. We have had a seasonal tree since Elfie was a baby so for four years now and at first I made decorations for it, then I used Elfie’s drawings and paintings (well mark-makings really) and as she got older we made decorations together. This year for the first time Elfie has made decorations all by herself for our Easter themed tree and has made salt dough eggs.
She poured the flour, salt and water herself and mixed them up. I helped a little getting the dough right but then she rolled it out and cut out her egg shapes. Once they were dry she drew on them with wax crayons and painted some glittery PVA over the top. I helped her thread the twine threw the holes and she hung them on the tree. I had to stop myself from trying to help her make them neat as I really wanted her to have ownership over them.
Salt Dough Egg Ingredients and Equipment:
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 cup of basic table salt
- 1/3 cup of water - you may want to add a little bit more once you start mixing
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters (we had a egg shaped one)
- Baking trays and greaseproof paper
- Mix together four and salt and add water and mix it in. Add more water if too dry to knead but only a little bit at a time. At this time you may choose to add food dye to colour dough.
- Knead well so consistency is nice and soft like play dough
- Roll out and cut out shapes
- Using a straw cut out holes to thread twine through to hang on tree
- Either leave to dry for 1-2 weeks or bake on the lowest setting on your oven for 4-5 hours (I did this in the evening)
- Once dry decorate wither with crayons, felt tips or paint
Notes: You can also rubber stamp impressions or ink onto salt dough but its best to do this when still damp.
As Elfie was hanging her decorations she kept on picking out a few eggs and saying they were for friends so we saved those ones and stuck them to Happy Easter cards with some washi tape.
Next I need to find time to make an Easter Wreath using willow and buy ingredients to make Easter Bread Ring. What will you be making this Easter? We'd love to hear any ideas for hand crafted Easter Decorations.