December! Month of glitter and shimmer; feathery frosts, dazzling moonlight and flickering candles. The winter season is here, and we’re all feeling pretty excited! We’ve been reveling in blankets, candlelight, evergreens, and cosy time with our families.
Similarly to last year, we are opting for a simple Christmas focused on experiences, rather than ‘stuff’, and taking conscious steps to make things easier for ourselves and our families in the coming weeks, whilst creating magical moments worth remembering.
10 Wonderful things to make, do and celebrate in the month ahead
1. Make. Decorations, simple gifts, wreathes…Winter is a wonderful opportunity for turning inwards and creating; so let your creativity flow IF you have the time and energy. (-Really; there’s nothing worse than stressed crafting, trust us!)
2. Hygge. Light the candles in the mornings and leave them lit until lunch time. Pile the sofa up with blankets. Cook comforting food.
3. Give. Go through kids books and toys with your children and encourage them to give things away they no longer play with. Do the same with your own stuff.
4. Volunteer. Look up your local food bank or shelter and see if there’s any slots that need filling or things they need.
5. Go outside. Yes, it’s cold, but there is nothing nicer than the woods in winter. Or the beach, for that matter. Don thermals and your woollies and enjoy that crisp, frosty air.
6. Watch the Moon. The dark evenings make moon and star watching, especially with children who are normally sleeping, possible. Go on a lantern/torch walk round your local park to see the constellations better. Plus, torches= the most fun ever.
7. Look up. starling murmerations; those great cloud like bird formations twisting and turning in the sunset, are in full swing, and are utterly magical.
8. Celebrate the Solstice on the 22nd. Put the date in your diaries and do something to celebrate the shortest day of the year; and the fact that we’ll enjoy more light from this point. We’ll be making ice votives and having dinner with friends.
9. Shop local, or better yet, don’t shop at all! Make, swap, or simply agree not to buy gifts.
10. Look after yourself. December can be such a busy month but don’t forget to carve out rest time. Eat well, drink lots of water, enjoy hot baths, move your body.
This is just a small part of our longer Sunday Supplement newsletter which includes the stuff we're eating, reading, wearing and listening too, as well as recipe's and links we love from around the web. It gets emailed out to subscribers on the first Sunday of the month. We'd love for you to join our club! Sign up on the right hand column. >>>