Davina here - Its not long now till the arrival of baby number 2! Its only a 10 week countdown - I really can't believe that I am 3 quarters of the way there already. I had an idea months ago to decorate biscuits with messages for the baby - almost as a way to deliver them to the baby through eating them... Finally this week Elfie and I made some with our friends Sophie and Aoife.
Materials to make Hello Baby Biscuits:
- Biscuits either made or bought - we made a gingerbreadman recipe because I knew it would shape well.
- White Royal icing (either bought or made) or you can use just simple icing sugar with water but then the colours will be lighter and you will not have the in-print of the stamp.
- Food dye and paint brushes
- Rubber Stamps and empty ink pad or edible ink pen
Instructions to make Hello Baby Biscuits:
- Buy or make biscuits - I chose to make round ones as easier to write message on and to ice.
- Wash rubber stamps if using them. Make sure to use natural rubber stamps and wash them with washing up liquid and dry. Ideally it is best to have a separate set for food.
- To make an edible ink pad poor food dye into an empty clean ink pad. Just pour a little and see how you get on - use a paint brush to even it out and kitchen roll to blot it if you have too much ink.
- Ice biscuits either with royal icing, in which case roll out and use cookie cutters to cut out to be same shape and size as biscuits or pour a mix of icing sugar and water on and leave to dry.
- Decorate biscuits. Young children can paint on them using washed and clean paint brushes and food dye and adults can write messages write messages either using an edible pen or rubber stamps.