Davina here - I spent this weekend at the Southbank Centre running a Seeds and Stitches workshop on how to rubber stamp a secret message on the inside of loved ones' clothing as part of the Festival of Love. It was brilliant fun and very inspiring seeing what people chose to write and how they decided to write it - so much creativity and deep consideration was in the room! I thought it would be nice to share with you how to leave a secret message in your loved ones' clothing too.
- Fabric based dark coloured ink pad - I use Yellow Owl Workshop All Purpose Ink
- A set of alphabet rubber stamps
- An item of clothing belonging to your loved one (something natural fibre based - cotton is best). Your loved one does not need to be a romantic partner - they could be a friend, your child or your partner etc
- An iron
- Think carefully about what you want to write on the person's clothes. It could be a direct message, a poem, a line from a song, your names etc.
- Choose an area inside of the clothing to write your message - somewhere nobody else will see but the wearer.
- Print your message using stamps.
- Allow to dry and place a tea cloth on top of writing and iron on the setting of the garment for 3-5 minutes constanting moving the iron.
- Place clothing back in your loved one's cupboard and leave as a surprise!