Hannah here: Today, as part of our “Hurray for Fatherhood!” extravaganza, we’re bringing you the second of our simple Fathers Day Makes ideas, Dad Pie. This is something Davina originally made a few years ago and I loved the idea. Its also incredibly simple.
To make your own, you will need:
Homemade pie filling of your choice. We used a beef and ale pie recipe by the Hairy Bikers.
2 boxes of Ready rolled puff pastry
Milk for glazing and sticking
Flour for dusting pastry
1) Make your pie filing according to the instructions in the recipe you choose. Fill pie dish to rim.
2) Brush the edges of the pie dish with milk then unravel pastry, place on top, and use a knife to cut off the overhang. Use the back of a fork to press the edges of the pastry onto the rim of the pie dish.
3) Roll out second roll of pastry, dust with flour and cut out letters of your choice. If cutters are sticking, dust them with flour. We also cut out some ‘pow!’ shapes, as this is a theme in our Fathers Day makes. We cut out a cardboard pow template, placed it onto the pastry and cut around it with a craft knife on a cutting board.
3) Brush the back of the letters with milk and arrange on the pastry.
4) Cook for approximately 20 mins, or until the pastry has slightly puffed up and looks golden.
5) Serve the dads in your life a delicious Fathers day meal!
I will be making Dave a puff pastry breakfast pie for fathers day morning (don’t worry, he’s under strict orders to avoid the blog this week!). I haven’t found a recipe yet, as he doesn’t like egg, but I’m thinking a tomato sauce with onion, garlic and beans in it, which will also include sausages, bacon, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. I shall let you know how it goes!
All photography by Kristy Noble. Davina, Kristy and I got together a couple of weeks ago to shoot this and had a grand ol' time throwing flour around, crafting and cooking at the same time, eating, and making a REALLY big mess in Davina's house. Fun fun.