Davina here - I am really excited to have my DIY Galaxy Top tutorial published in this month's Mollie Makes. A couple of months ago Mollie Makes invited me to share how to make a galaxy inspired top for an adult but I got carried away and made one for Elfie and the baby too! See pictures below. They are really easy and fun to make but do require quite a few different materials like bleach and rubber gloves etc. If you make any please do send us pictures. This project has so inspired Hannah and I that we are making our Christmas gifts for Frankie and Elfie's friends using a similar technique - post coming soon!
You Will Need:
- Plain black cotton t –shirt
- Plastic lining/ sheeting – I used an old shower curtain
- Rubber gloves
- Household bleach
- Empty plastic Spray bottle
- A selection of paint brushes
- Art stencil sponges
- Mini travel plastic spray bottles
- Fabric Paint (I used Dylon)
- Fabric pastels
- Washing powder
Step by Step Guide:
- Lay T-shirt on a non-porous surface – for example use oilcloth or an strong black bin liner. Now insert plastic sheeting in T-shirt to stop bleach and fabric dye seeping through to back of top.
- Make up bleach solution 2/3 bleach and 1/3 water. Wear rubber gloves when you do this. Spray solution on T-shirt to liking but be aware if you spray too much you might not have any black left to contrast.
- Create a Galaxy Star Cluster by twisting an area of fabric and spraying whilst holding in place. Allow to dry to ensure bleach has had it full effect.
- Hand wash in lukewarm water wearing gloves and allow to dry.
- Sponge white paint gently onto bleached areas to make bleached areas appear white. Use brush to create stronger white areas on top. You will want at least one very strong area – the Galaxy Star Cluster may be best for this.
- Make up some fabric spray paint by simply pouring fabric paint into travel plastic spray bottle – you may want to add a tiny bit of water. Spray paint to liking.
- Now load up a paintbrush with lots of white paint and flick paint to create mini star effect.
- Use fabric pastels to add colour – use fingers to smudge in and make gentle.
- Allow to dry naturally or blow dry. Place paper on top of t-shirt and iron using a cotton setting for 3-5 minutes constantly moving iron – this will set the paint and pastels.
Note: When washing for first time wash by hand.